EU citizens


EU citizens may enter Slovenia with a valid personal ID or passport. For the first 3 months you do not need a residence permit (except if you are living in a student dormitory) / after 3 months the permit is obligatory and can be obtained at:


Administrative Unit Ljubljana

Department for Foreigners (Oddelek za tujce)

Tobačna ulica 5, 1000 Ljubljana
Phone: +386 306 32 61, +386 1 306 32 60





  • A valid identity card or a passport,

  • enrolment certificate (sent by the International Office/University of Ljubljana) – Letter of Acceptance,

  • 2 photos,

  • health insurance covering all risks in the host member state,

  • proof of sufficient means for living,

  • a valid contract with your accomodation provider     ( landlord or dormitory letter of acceptance )



Residence permit is absolutely necessary during your stay in Ljubljana, even if you stay in dormitory.

non-EU citizens


Students who are coming for study purposes from a country whose citizens are required to obtain a visa in order to enter the Republic of Slovenia are required to obtain:


  • visa C (tourist visa) or

  • visa D (long term visa),

at a diplomatic mission or consulate of the Republic of Slovenia abroad prior to entering the Republic of Slovenia.


Within the 90 day period or after the expiration of visa D, you are obliged to apply for a first residence permit at:


Administrative Unit Ljubljana

Department for Foreigners (Oddelek za tujce)

Tobačna ulica 5, 1000 Ljubljana
Phone: +386 306 32 61, +386 1 306 32 60


With your application you have to enclose


  • A valid passport (the expiry date of which exceeds the intended period of stay in the Republic of Slovenia by at least 3 months;

  • Confirmation of enrolment at the higher education institution;

  • Health insurance covering urgent health care services in the Republic of Slovenia as a minimum requirement. This certificate should contain, in addition to stating that you have health insurance, a clear description of the scope of your rights and it should be already valid from the time of the application for the residence permit or at least 2 weeks before the departure;

  • Sufficient means of subsistence in a monthly amount at least equal to the basic minimal income in the Republic of Slovenia (290 €/month), parent’s statement;

  • A police clearance certificate of not older than 3 months from your country (if the country in question issues it), translated into Slovenian and verified;

  • An authentic photograph of yourself (3,5 x 4,5 cm).


All certificates, confirmations or appendices must be translated into the Slovene language and the translation certified by a notary.


The permit in a form of a card will be handed to you. 
In case your application is denied, you have the right to appeal. 

If you have a valid residence permit issued by another European state that is party to the Schengen Agreement, you may enter the Republic of Slovenia on the basis of this permit and a valid travel document and stay there for no longer than 3 months (90 days) in a 6-month period, which includes the combined duration of your stay in all Schengen States except for the state which issued the visa, starting on the date of the first entry into one of Schengen States or until the expiry of visa validity if this is shorter. Within 90 days period, you are obliged to apply for first residence permit at the relevant administrative unit in Slovenia (in Ljubljana: Tobačna ulica 5, 1000 Ljubljana).




The price varies from 150 - 190€ per month per person, depending on the size and location of the room (the price list is available here). Foreign students pay the economic price. Rooms are given to students on "first come, first get" basis according to the date and hour of the online application. The application is available here an can be done before you start with the exchange application. More about the dormitories you can find here.


  • 15 May for the winter semester/full academic year - extended to 31 May 2020

  • 15 November for the summer semester


Once you receive the dormitory acceptance notice from the University, you will need to sign an agreement form (CLICK FOR HELP). What are the student obligations when moving into a dormitory?




Foreign students, who are EU citizens, do not need a permit to enter Slovenia or a residence permit. They need to submit an application for acquisition of a temporary residence permit on the day the move in of the following day. This has to be done at the administrative unit (Upravna enota Ljubljana, Oddelek za tujce) at the following address: Tobačna ulica 5, 1000 Ljubljana.

Students need to deliver the certificate for acquisition of a temporary residence permit to the Institute within 3 days.




Foreign students, who are not EU citizens, need a valid passport (unless stipulated otherwise by the law or an international agreement) and a visa or a residence permit.

Students are obligated to acquire the residence permit at a diplomatic mission or consular post of the Republic of Slovenia abroad prior to entering the country and submit it to the Institute when they move in.


Students who have a Decision by the Students’ Dormitories Office must submit the following documents when they move in


  • Notification on the move in referral issued by the Students' dormitories office,

  • a certified statement of the guarantor on debt assumption,

  • a personal identity card or a passport,

  • 3 photographs.



Students' dormitories Ljubljana


Cesta 27. aprila 31, 1000 Ljubljana

Telephone: +386 1 242 1000,

Fax: +386 1 242 1010


Dormitory RULES, MOVING IN POLICY and RECEPTION OFFICE (please read carefully).



Team #yolo, I need a room/apartment!

(Please send us details about locations, price range etc. to



If you are all about bonding with fresh #yolo energy and want to have roomies, we suggest you join the following groups: FACEBOOK GENERAL ERASMUS GROUP & ERASMUSU paid service. by ESN  University Ljubljana